What do you know about Ventrilo or TeamSpeak?
Many people have never heard of Ventrilo and/or TeamSpeak. They have both been used in the gaming industry as well as the office environment. Both have been leaders in the VoIP industry, but which one should you use?
What is Ventrilo?
Ventrilo (also known as Vent) is a voice communication program allowing users to connect to a central server and chat with other users much like a conference call. This is essentially voice over IP technology, and in video game terms can often mean the difference between a successful raid run and or a complete wipe. Ventrilo users can count on no lag, amazing codecs and great stable performance. Ventrilo is definitely one of the industry’s leading players in VoIP.
What is TeamSpeak?
TeamSpeak (also known as TS) is a communications tool that uses the internet as a highway for delivering clear communication. TeamSpeak was originally targeted toward the gaming community. This software was made for increasing the communication in online games. However, the same possibilities with games became very useful with business. This software created a revolution in the multiplayer gaming around a couple of years back. Before TeamSpeak all gamers knew of was in game voice commands.
The features and differences:
- Cross channel communications.
- User-to-user private conversations.
- Individual channels that can be created dynamically.
- Sub channels.
- Muted channels.
- Queued channels.
- Password protected
- server login and channels.
- Advanced channel control options and filters.
- Text-to-speech (TTS) voice generation.
- Key binding to execute special program functions, play wave files, send TTS messages.
- Separate phonetic spelling of user and channel names for proper TTS.
- Built in chat similar to IRC.
- Users can enter dynamic comments for all other users to see.
- User assigned names for server connections. No need to remember IP numbers.
- Multiple platform support for servers.
- Servers are now ready and supported on 64bit platforms.
- Ability to restrict server admin features. Useful for hosting services.
- Server specified codec’s to control voice quality and bandwidth usage.
- Optimal bandwidth usage with codecs ranging from CELT 5.1Kbit to GSM 16.4Kbit to Speex 25.9Kbit for optimal voice clarity
- Local address book allows you to connect quickly to your favourite servers
- Webserver list allows you to find TeamSpeak servers without their IP
- Channel and sub-channel creation
- Client is designed to work well with firewalls and routers
- Passworded servers and channels
- Completely configurable key bindings (hotkeys) to quickly join specified channels, mute your microphone, etc.
- Whisper functions so you can speak privately to individuals, groups of persons, or other channels
- Auto voice normalizing (no need to adjust your mic manually)
- Supports Microsoft Gamevoice ™ hardware
- Windows/Linux server
- Windows/Linux client
- Text messaging in the client
- Seamless optional MySQL integration, allowing you to customize your server database
- Minimal CPU and RAM requirements
- Given bandwidth requirements are met, servers can easily handle thousands of users
At the end of the day it is personal preference in choosing between a Ventrilo server or a TeamSpeak server. They are both without a doubt amazing products